By Robert F. Kushner, Daniel H. Bessesen
The purpose of remedy of the overweight sufferer is to notify clinicians of contemporary advances in weight problems study and supply an up to date overview of present remedy matters and methods. Divided into sections, the 1st part covers new discoveries within the physiological regulate of bodyweight, in addition to the pathophysiology of weight problems. the second one part covers a number of matters which are principal to the scientific administration of overweight sufferer. This quantity is a source that would stimulate and interact clinicians to participate extra effectively within the obesity-care technique.
Read Online or Download Treatment of the Obese Patient (Contemporary Endocrinology) PDF
Best endocrinology & metabolism books
The interdisciplinary paintings revealing diversified roles in organic techniques of power ailments has resulted in a brand new box of study referring to universal molecular and medical beneficial properties of persistent ailments. Epidemiological literature indicates an organization among the background of metabolic syndrome/diabetes mellitus kind 2 and the chance of constructing numerous cancers.
During this e-book, Harold Morowitz provides a brand new thought at the foundation of lifestyles in the world 4 billion years in the past. Morowitz postulates that step one towards the starting place of lifestyles used to be the spontaneous condensation of amphiphilic molecules to shape vesicles or protocells. This speculation presents a framework for reexamining the emergence of cellularity.
A pragmatic "how to" advisor for a number of equipment in metabolism, with a serious and goal dialogue of strengths, boundaries, and applicable purposes of the defined tools. Edited by means of the winner of the Oskar-Minkowski Prize of the EASD in 2006 medical trials in populations prone to or with overt diabetes mellitus are being played all over the global to check novel medicines and techniques to dealing with those illnesses.
This built-in scientific reference deals candid assurance and expert perspectives on thyroid functionality and disorder. rigorously precise line drawings elucidate the discussions through three popular clinicians. insurance comprises thyroid hormone biosynthesis, laboratory review, unhazardous goiter, hyperthyroidism, thyroid affliction in being pregnant, malignant illnesses, thyroiditis, and lots more and plenty extra
- Endocrine Oncology (Contemporary Endocrinology)
- Epidemiology and the People's Health: Theory and Context
- Molecular Nutrition and Diabetes : A Volume in the Molecular Nutrition Series
- Thyroid Cancer: A Comprehensive Guide to Clinical Management
Extra info for Treatment of the Obese Patient (Contemporary Endocrinology)
179. Kamegai J, et al. Chronic central infusion of ghrelin increases hypothalamic neuropeptide Y and Agouti-related protein mRNA levels and body weight in rats. Diabetes 2001;50(11):2438–2443. 180. Nakazato M, et al. A role for ghrelin in the central regulation of feeding. Nature 2001;409(6817):194–198. 181. Wang L, Saint-Pierre DH, Tache Y. Peripheral ghrelin selectively increases Fos expression in neuropeptide Y-synthesizing neurons in mouse hypothalamic arcuate nucleus. Neurosci Lett 2002;325(1):47–51.
However, the occurrence of low levels of PYY in patients with anorexia nervosa might fall into a different complex psychological entity. PYY3-36 appears to increase in a number of gastrointestinal conditions and following abdominal surgery (40–42). These conditions are usually associated with wasting status and reduced body weight, which further supports PYY’s role as an anorexigenic peptide and a satiety agent. Higher levels of PYY have also been demonstrated in diseases such as malabsorption syndromes including tropical sprue, chronic pancreatitis, and celiac disease (43), following small-intestinal surgery, and with acute gut infection and inflam- Chapter 2 / Gut Peptides 35 matory bowel disease (44).
130. Stephens TW, et al. The role of neuropeptide Y in the antiobesity action of the obese gene product. Nature 1995;377:530–534. 131. Schwartz MW, et al. Specificity of leptin action on elevated blood glucose levels and hypothalamic neuropeptide Y gene expression in ob/ob mice. Diabetes 1996; 45:531–535. 132. Bernardis LL, Bellinger LL. The dorsomedial hypothalamic nucleus revisited: 1998 update. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 1998;218(4):284–306. 133. Kesterson RA, et al. Induction of neuropeptide Y gene expression in the dorsal medial hypothalamic nucleus in two models of the agouti obesity syndrome.