By M. X. Zarrow
Read or Download Experimental Endocrinology. A Sourcebook of Basic Techniques PDF
Similar endocrinology & metabolism books
The interdisciplinary paintings revealing different roles in organic methods of persistent ailments has resulted in a brand new box of analysis relating universal molecular and scientific positive factors of power ailments. Epidemiological literature indicates an organization among the background of metabolic syndrome/diabetes mellitus kind 2 and the danger of constructing numerous cancers.
During this publication, Harold Morowitz provides a brand new thought at the foundation of existence on the earth 4 billion years in the past. Morowitz postulates that step one towards the foundation of existence used to be the spontaneous condensation of amphiphilic molecules to shape vesicles or protocells. This speculation offers a framework for reexamining the emergence of cellularity.
A pragmatic "how to" consultant for a number of tools in metabolism, with a severe and aim dialogue of strengths, boundaries, and applicable purposes of the defined tools. Edited through the winner of the Oskar-Minkowski Prize of the EASD in 2006 scientific trials in populations vulnerable to or with overt diabetes mellitus are being played all over the international to check novel medicinal drugs and methods to dealing with those ailments.
This built-in medical reference deals candid assurance and proficient perspectives on thyroid functionality and affliction. rigorously exact line drawings elucidate the discussions via three popular clinicians. assurance comprises thyroid hormone biosynthesis, laboratory review, unhazardous goiter, hyperthyroidism, thyroid disorder in being pregnant, malignant illnesses, thyroiditis, and lots more and plenty extra
- Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes at a Glance
- Nutrition in the Prevention and Treatment of Abdominal Obesity
- Photosynthetic Nitrogen Assimilation and Associated Carbon and Respiratory Metabolism
- Integrated Diabetes Care: A Multidisciplinary Approach
- Minimally Invasive Therapies for Endocrine Neck Diseases
Additional resources for Experimental Endocrinology. A Sourcebook of Basic Techniques
3. 5). Discard carbonate solution. 4. Shake with 25 ml of 2 N NaOH. The aqueous phase, without removal from the separating funnel, is partially neutralized with 100 ml of 1 M NaHCOg. The ether and aqueous phases are again shaken, and the aqueous phase is discarded. 5. Wash the ether extract with 1 M N a H C 0 3 (1 X 25 ml) and then * Cf. references ( 1 , 1 2 ) . 5 m l ) ; both aqueous phases are discarded. The ether solutions are then distilled to dryness. If the 24-hour urine volume is 1250 ml or less, one-half of the quantities given above are used.
1956. The effects of aminopterin and estrogen on the phosphate metabolism of rat uterus. Endocrinology 59: 505-515. 27. Diczfalusy, E. 1953. Chorionic gonadotrophin and oestrogens in the human pla centa. Acta Endocrinol. Suppl. 12. 28. Dorfman, R. I. 1955. Steroid hormone metabolism, in "The Hormones" ( G . Pincus and K. V. ), Vol. 2, pp. 589-664. Academic Press, New York. 29. Dorfman, R. , and Dorfman, A. S. 1948. Studies on the bioassay of hormones— the assay of estrogens by a chick oviduct method.
It will be noted that many of these substances are steroidal in nature and that some of them have estrogenic activity in their own right. EXPERIMENT 2-1 The Estrous Cycle* The existence of a typical estrous cycle in the guinea pig and the associated changes in vaginal cytology were first reported by Stockard and Papanicolaou in 1917. Shortly thereafter, similar phenomena were *Cf. references ( 1 - 3 , 54, 68, 8 1 ) . 37 EXPERIMENT 2 - 1 reported in the rat and mouse. Vaginal smears obtained from these ani mals were found to correlate well with changes occurring in the repro ductive tract and with the secretion of the ovarian hormones.